9/9/10

German-Philia

While I would agree that Deutsches Kultur ist über alles, and therefore have no problem with Jews championing it*, but not over everything to the extent that everything else is garbage. Or, for that matter (and to an extreme), that it results in internalized anti-Semitism. Gilad Atzmon and his novel are merely a contemporary example of this pattern which was set by Moses Mendelssohn, whose antagonism towards Yiddish was mimed by none other than Richard Wagner. Not everyone can be as level-headed as Heine or Lewisohn?

I have not considered an equivalency in Jewish English-language literature. Mark Twain, the Judeo-phile, criticized Bret Harte for it, I guess. Englander, among others, claims to not be a Jewish writer, lulz.


*There was that weird moment in German class where my professor said I had a "great German name." Like, yeah, I know. Too bad bitches had to escape, right? Some other kid's last name was "Jaeger." No joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment