3/4/11

My Atheism

I think, more than anything, I reject God on phallogocentric grounds; our old notions of God as a single, supreme male, deconstruct (and if we can make a value judgment, this is "good"), and the discourse then opens to a more expansive and inclusive (Spinozan?) realm.

Atheism, for me, is an intellectual exercise. Perhaps I've killed God. I don't know.

But the issue isn't cut and dry, and that is why I reject Humanistic Judaism, even though I embrace and cherish human intelligence and emotion above all else. There is too much hubris within atheist thought. Science will explain the physical laws of the Universe, but it will never explain all the intricacies of human experience and everything it entails-- that, I believe, is more expansive than the all the galaxies. That is "spirituality" and religion, and the reason that being a Jew (being a person) is a fluid continuum of belief and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment