6/20/09

The Inglorious Quentin Tarantino



I'm not sure what to think about QT's new film, Inglourious Basterds (preview here). Tarantino's known for shifting rapidly between humor and seriousness, and incorporating hardcore violence, obviously. All of that appeals to me, as I have seen most his films and enjoyed them immensely. But, I don't know if I'll be able to take the joke in this film, which will probably take lots of liberties with an obscure historical event.

I'm critical of the hillybilly CO (what's his motivation?), played by Brad Pitt, who leads the titular group of Jews who have basically been rendereed into Nazis themselves because they're clouded with hate (and hate leads to the darkside, yada yada yada). So ties can be drawn to Spielberg's Munich and the whole "they killed Jews, we must avenge" mantra. The difference with Basterds is that the Nazi killing unit serves valid military purposes, i.e. spreading fear, disrupting shit. I can't remember if Munich had the interviews of the murdered Olympians' families saying how they didn't want the Mossad killing all those Arabs. But I'm sure contemporaneous Jews would have been all about killing some Nazis.

The film will probably be awesome. I know I can't wait, whatever my reactions will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment