1/12/11

Guns

i can enjoy violent war films, stupid video games, misogynistic and violent rap and hiphop, etc, and not feel the need to own a gun, or at worst harm another person. and for as much proletarian Yiddish literature as I read (or bell hooks, who, like Rage Against the Machine, is so angry she could kill a man), I somehow don't feel like busting any caps in anyone's ass, or sparking a revolution any time soon.
i enjoy guns, have fired, assembled and cleaned them, but i still don't feel the need to own one.

and one can argue that yes, firing weapons is a skill, but the point of that skill is ultimately to hurt other people. i'm not saying that p...eople who like guns want to hurt others, just that you can't avoid saying guns are for anything else besides killing and violence.

BJ:
‎"just that you can't avoid saying guns are for anything else besides killing and violence." I agree. The very act of firing a gun (even at a target) is a violent one, meant to destroy the target and put the bullet close to the "heart" or the "brain."

me:
I aim for the knees. this is a tough conversation--i have to admit to myself that, to an extent, i am violent. it's my opinion that playing video games and perpetuating that culture indicts me in some way.

but yeah. i enjoy the argument...s that are like, "cars kill people, too!" Uhh, cars are for GOING PLACES. if you modify cars to kill people, ya got problems; no one has to modify a gun to kill a person.




No comments:

Post a Comment